Covenant Health offers advanced technology and innovative care for patients throughout our health system. Our member hospitals and other facilities are often first in the area – and sometimes first in the world – to pioneer new patient care treatments and technologies in many specialties:
- Thompson Cancer Network is the region’s only comprehensive cancer network, allowing patients all across East Tennessee to take part in clinical trials and other innovative treatment options. Patient care is coordinated by a multidisciplinary team of cancer specialists.
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center’s Gamma Knife is located at Thompson Cancer Survival Center in downtown Knoxville. It provides targeted therapy for cancers and other conditions of the brain, head, and neck that are not treatable by other options.
- The Laser Center at Thompson Cancer Survival Center pioneered photodynamic therapy for treatment of Barrett’s Esophagus. The innovative treatment is now considered standard of care around the world.
- Many of Covenant Health’s 10 breast center locations offer 3-D mammography (tomosynthesis), providing physicians with more precise imaging and earlier diagnosis of breast cancer.
- Several Covenant Health hospitals offer Low-Dose CT scanning for patients at high risk for lung cancer.
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center was recently named a Top 100 Hospital With Great Oncology Programs by Becker’s Hospital Review.
- Covenant Health was the first health system in the area to offer Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR). The procedure replaces heart valves in patients who are not strong enough for open heart surgery and is a life-saving treatment for aortic stenosis.
- Methodist Medical Center was the region’s first hospital to use hypothermia for comatose survivors of cardiac arrest. And, it’s the only medical center in East Tennessee to offer left ventricular assist device support for cardio septic shock and in high-risk heart procedures.
- Covenant Health cares for more hearts than any other health system in our area, and is a leader in cardiovascular diagnostics and imaging, pacemaker implementation, advanced procedures, and innovative technologies.
- Covenant Health is the region’s only stroke hospital network, and uses a “hub and spoke” approach to provide quick community access to advanced stroke care.
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center has advanced certification as a Comprehensive Stroke Center of Excellence. The medical center uses innovative equipment and technology to treat complex strokes and other complicated neuro and vascular conditions.
- Robotic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques, including spinal procedures that result in fewer complications and faster recovery times
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for chronic non-healing wounds
- National recognition for information technology infrastructure; Covenant Health has been named among the nation’s “Most Wired” health systems more than a dozen times